Rescuing the Past

Spread the love

Now part of TVF&R, Beaverton Fire

History: Beaverton Fire Department

🢡 1914 “The Owl” was the first documentation of Beaverton organizing a volunteer fire department.

1934 From 1914 to 1934, the Beaverton volunteer program lacked consistency. In 1934, bylaws were adopted providing needed structure for continuity.

🢡 1935 A new 1935 Chevrolet truck chassis from Carr Chevrolet was converted into Beaverton’s first motorized pumping engine by the volunteers. In Portland (from left): Cecil Barns, Homer Wilson, Harvey Williams and Robert Forney.

1937 Local volunteers promote formation of a “rural fire protection district.”

🢡1942 A new Chevrolet, MFG by Howard-Cooper, is parked in front of Carr Chevrolet at Broadway Street and Watson Avenue. It became Beaverton Fire Department Engine No. 4 for the City of Beaverton. From left: Guy Carr, Richard Doty (driver), unknown, John Wright and Lee George.

🢡 1946 Beaverton Rural Fire Protection District is established. Chief Archie Olson stands in front of the First Street Fire Station with the Beaverton Rural Engine No. 1, Beaverton Fire Department Engine No. 2 (1935 Chevy) and Tanker No. 3 (1928 Graham Truck with a 600 gallon water tank).

🢡 1948 Volunteer fire members in front of the Beaverton City Hall/Fire Station at First and Main streets include: Chief Archie Olson, Ellsworth Herder, Frank Moore, Louis Humberg, Bill Miller, Russ Maller, Walt Unis, Assistant Chief L.A. Speedy Classen, Clarence Buffam, Lee Graves, Cal McGann, Gene Lafond, Ernie Metcalf, Frank Zimbrick, Don Jenkins and City Recorder Dick Dot.

🢡 1958 City offices, library and fire department move into a new facility on Fifth Street. City and rural fire department apparatus move into the new station at Fifth and Hall.

1960 The first paid firefighters are hired in the department.

🢡 1961 Harvey Williams and Archie Olson stand with the 1935 Chevrolet Engine No. 2.

🢡  1963 Paid personnel from left include: Engineer Bob Lambert, Captain Dick Classen, Engineer Frank Pohs, Chief Bob Wickam, Assistant Chief/Fire Marshal Harvey Williams, Captain Jim St. Clair, Captain Ernie Metcalf and Engineer Russ Stuve.

🢡 1972 The city adds a second fire station No. 266 at SW Brockman and Davies Road. Pictured are Engine 266 and Engine 266-R.

🢡 1972 BFD apparatus is parked at 5th and Hall fire station No. 267, 2 Rescue Units, 2 Engines, 1 Ladder Truck, 1 Brush Rig.

1973 Beaverton Fire Department transitions into an all-paid agency.

🢡 1979 Fire at the Beaverton High School Auditorium.

🢡 1986 BFD hires Marilyn Kosel, the first female firefighter in Washington County and the second in Oregon.

1989 Beaverton Fire Department joins consolidation discussions with neighboring fire districts.

1996 Beaverton Fire Department merges with Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.

🢡 1999 Beaverton City Hall, the library and fire station on Fifth Street are demolished. Beaverton Fire Station No. 267 and City Hall are demolished. The city’s new fire station No. 267 is now on Farmington Road.